The village Aspri Valta was built at the early of 16th century, to the south edge of mountain Kerdyllia, far away from the sea. According to documents of that time, found at the monastery’s Simonos Petra archive, the area was covered by a luxurian forest that was used from monastery Koutloumousiou of mountain Athos.
The area had become extremely dangerous cause the vegetation provided an ideal hideout to thieves and murderers. That’s why the monastery decided to clear the area and built the village.
During the time of the Turkish domination of the area, many Turkish families settled to the village, which name changed to Geni Maxale. After the liberation, the village was abandon, and few Greek families are settled near the to the sea, to the area that Asprovalta is today.
At September of 1923, 54 refugee families were moved here from Renkioi village, which was near to the ancient city of Troy, in Dardanelle’s Turkey, after the events took place in 1922. Asprovalta first appeared as Community at 1929. Today is one of the municipality’s Agios Georgios villages.
The tourist development of Asprovalta started at the 60’s. The 70’s stamped by a great construction growth witch led to today’s 12.000 summerhouses!!! Large beaches, bright-green mountainsides, archeological and religious treasures along with the latest turist developments are composing today’s Asprovalta’s look.
Asprovalta’s visitors have the chance to:
- Visit the Natural Park and the Information center for coast life of Strymonikos gulf and Ierissos gulf.
- Admire the exhibits of the agricultural museum along with the archeological treasures of the area, such as Argilos and Liotopi Routsheli.
- Pay their respect to Saint Georgios Church, where they take shelter 19 holy relics and the icon of Saint Georgios brought here from the Renkioi refugees, and to Saint Georgios Monastery built after the 2nd half of 16th century a place with a distant view of Strymonikos gulf.
- Enjoy wonderful, really clean, well-organized sandy beaches and swim to green-blue sea awarded for many years with E.U.’s “Blue Flags”.
- Go fishing or just to relax watching other people fishing till the early hours, enjoying the peace of mind that only fishing can give.
- Go in for sea sports forcing its adrenaline to the highest point.
- Use all the modern sport facilities such as the indoor arena, the beach volley, football, basketball and tennis fields.
- To follow up the art stream by going to the theatre or cinema.
- Participate or just to enjoy all the cultural events that are happening each summer.
- Enjoy their vacations choosing the appropriate accommodation among Hotels, Family hotels, Rent rooms and Camping.
- Be seduced by the world of taste, enjoying delicious goodies at the unnumbered fish-taverns and restaurants.
- Go for shopping at the local market.