The Villages of Strymonikos Gulf
Build on the down hills of mountain Cholomontas, named Sougliani, just 800m away from the sea, the village of Anw Stavros is known for its great climate and the panoramic view that offers for many centuries to its residents and visitors.
The village Aspri Valta was built at the early of 16th century, to the south edge of mountain Kerdyllia, far away from the sea. According to documents of that time, found at the monastery’s Simonos Petra archive, the area was covered by a luxurian forest that was used from monastery Koutloumousiou of mountain Athos.
Right at the heart of Strymonikos gulf, between the Thessaloniki-Kavala national road and the green-blue Aegean Sea, is located the village of Nea Vrasna.
The village was in fact created when residents from the old village of Vrasna moved here. Today the population of Nea Vrasna is about 2000 people, a notable fact once you realize that this removal took place the past 40 years.
Lengthways of this beautiful beach, that spreads into a natural harbor and is surrounded from bright green mountains and charmed beaches, lays the village of Olympiada. It’s the third village of the area with refugees, beside Asprovalta and Stavros. Here settled 50 refugee families from Saint Kiriaki of Vithinia, after the persecution of Greeks, in 1922, from Asia Minor.
At the year of 1923, when Greeks forced to leave from Asia Minor, about 400 families from the village of Katirli of Vithinia, left their beautiful place and found a new place to fit in, as refugees, according to their parish they belonged to.